Countdown blocks



On Thanksgiving my SIL gave me some cute Christmas countdown blocks that I fell in love with.  I thought it would be fun to make some Valentine (and maybe other holiday) blocks.

Here's how I did it:
1. Cut a 4x4 post into squares (it will be about 3.5 x 3.5 x 3.5) and cut a 2x4 into desired length.  {If you don't have access to a saw, your local home/hardware store can cut it for you.}

2.  Fill holes and imperfections with putty or spackle.

3.  Sand!  I used a belt sander for the edges and fine sandpaper for the faces.

4.  Paint your blocks.  Don't worry about the centers since they'll be covered up.  Let dry completely.

5.  Cut some squares of paper.  Cut some numbers and letters.  {This might be good to do while you're letting your paint dry on step #4.} Block 1= 026178  Block 2=504123 (The 6 doubles as the 9)

6.  Sand the edges of the blocks again.  {optional}

7.  Mod podge the papers.  {For tips and tricks on mod podge click HERE.}  Let dry.

8.  Mod podge the numbers and letters.  Let dry.  Mod podge over any uncovered areas.  Let dry.

9.  Finish off with spray sealant.  (It helps the blocks feel less tacky, and so they won't stick to the board.)


I think "February" would be good too because then you could use it the whole month...

Hope this tutorial was helpful!  I'd love to see your blocks!  E-mail me your link!


Happy Valentine's!
xoxo,
Melanie