Bead plates

Via Pinterest -- Texas Book Lady
A lot of my sentences lately start with, "So I saw this pin...."

My kids and husband's nieces helped me with this craft.  It seemed like a great idea.  It was supposed to be easy, fast, foolproof.  Here's how it all happened:

First, got some pizza pans from the 2nd hand store for 50 cents.
Then, put beads in them.
Next, melt them in the oven.  (Warning!  This will stink up your whole house!)
Finally, once they're cooled, pop them out of the tray.
Lastly, glue a candlestick underneath.

I figured the beads should probably be all vertical so that it would have an even surface once melted, so it took us quite a while to arrange.  We did the big pan and the small pan (flag) at the same time.

When I checked on them in the oven I saw that the silver and gold beads did not melt.  So disappointing!
All those beads wasted. :(

(On this rainbow one, the whole center fell out.)



So we tried again with the colored beads that were left, and they turned out better.

So I guess the moral of the story is if you're going to try this, only use the plain beads (it will take a lot!), throw open ALL your windows, and have an air freshener handy.  :)